Welcome to the minefield that is liquor licensing and compliance in Australia! There are many rules, and just as many exceptions...

Everyone who pours alcohol in Australia, in any capacity, must have a Responsible Service of Alcohol qualification (RSA). Regulation around this is completely understandable (to a point) however each state has different, often contradictory and confusing requirements.

Lucky for you, we've spent many an hour navigating this frustrating world and have come up with, what we believe, to be simplest (and easiest) steps to gaining a NATIONALLY ACCREDITED RSA CERTIFICATES to cover you for ALL states in Australia.

Please note this is correct as of 17th February, 2016 (requirements change regularly and we will update accordingly)



Yes, there is a Nationally Accredited RSA scheme, that covers you for ALL STATES (with the except NSW). However, the ACT will only accept National RSA's issued in ACT.

As a result, we recommend this National RSA training course as it will cover you for all (with the exception of NSW). We deal with so many RSA's that they've given us our own discount code... Yep. Enter 'bsc5' in the 'coupon code' field at checkout for $5 off.) NOTE: Just make sure it has the qualification numbers SITHFAB201 or SITHFAB002 noted on it.


Now you need to get another one as NSW will only accept NSW accredited RSA's. To do this, you must either sit the course in person or via this is the online training course. There are others but we recommend this one. (Again, use the coupon code 'bsc5' for $5 off.) Once you've earned your online RSA, you MUST visit a Service NSW Centre to convert your 'statement of attainment' certificate to a 'Competency Card'. This can only be done IN PERSON with the card itself taking up to 3 weeks to be delivered. However, you are covered by the certificate in the meantime (up to 3 months from issue). We know, right. Cray.

NB - NSW are no longer accepting paper RSAs of any kind, other than these interim certificates. These are interim certificates issued in the last 3 months and must be converted into a Competency Card before they expire. Otherwise you'll need to resit the course at full cost again next time. Boo! 


Victoria WILL accept any Nationally Accredited RSAs (even those earned via online training) as long as it has the the qualification numbers SITHFAB009A, SITHFAB201 or SITHFAB002 noted on the certificate. However, there's a lot of conflicting information around this (just try and figure it out), but we have express WRITTEN CONFIRMATION from VCGLR that this is true. If your course does not have the above aforementioned course numbers, you will need do an ONLINE BRIDGING COURSE (which is free). You can do so HERE. This bridging course needs to be completed every three years.


Finally,  if you're selecting a different RSA provider, just make sure when choosing a Nationally Accredited RSA, they carry this logo.

Yes, we know. This is ridiculously annoying. We know it, we live it. But right now, this is what we believe to be the best (and quickest) way to navigate your way through the RSA madness and be able to pour your wine in every (nanny) state in Australia.

As an example, we collated 484 RSA in 2015 to cover the 225 wineries who took part in our (and managed) events. The joys.

We will update this post when new information comes to light.

The recent senate enquiry presented recommendations that states work together to make RSA nationally recognised. In the meantime, use the above.